Recent Posts

Monday, December 14, 2015

Oblivion (Lux Series) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Image and blurb from Goodreads:

Experience the epic love story of OBSIDIAN as told by its hero, Daemon Black…

I knew the moment Katy Swartz moved in next door, there was going to be trouble. Lots of it. 

And trouble’s the last thing I need, since I’m not exactly from around here. My people arrived on Earth from Lux, a planet thirteen billion light years away. Plus, if there’s one thing I know, it’s that humans can’t be trusted. We scare them. We can do things they only dream about, and honestly, we make them look weak as hell. ‘Cuz they are. 

But Kat is getting to me in ways no one else has, and I can't stop myself from wanting her—or wanting to use my powers to protect her. She makes me weak, and I’m the strongest of our kind, tasked with protecting us all. So this one simple girl…she can mean the end for us. Because the Luxen have an even bigger enemy—the Arum, and I need to stay on my game. 

Falling for Katy—a human—won't just place her in danger. It could get us all killed, and that’s one thing I’ll never let happen...


*******************************************************************************

My thoughts:

5 "Aliens are my favorite people" stars

ARC via NetGalley - Thank you Entangled!
I remember the first time I read Obsidian (the first of the Lux series). I stayed up until 3 am because there was no freaking way I'd be able to fall asleep without reading the last page. The next day, I was ready for more.

So it didn't surprise me that the moment Entangled (I love you!) approved my request, sleeping and eating and working became almost unnecessary. I needed to inhale this book. 

Oblivion (the Kindle version) is the story of Obsidian, Onyx and Opal (books 1 to 3) tops by Daemon's POV. And who the heck is Daemon, you may ask? *glares at you because you should know that already* *sighs* Daemon is a Luxen, aka, an alien. And not an ordinary one (ok, that doesn't even make sense). Daemon is a hot alien. A bad boy alien. A I-want-you alien. He's a jerk 90% of the time. 95%, if we're being accurate. But you'll fall in love with him, because he's a great jerk. I LOVE how Jen (the author, yes, we're BFFs at this point because I love all her books) isn't afraid to write him the way she did. He doesn't care about what's politically correct. He doesn't make excuses for what he is -- because he's doing it all to protect his people. 

So what's the book about? Kat and Daemon, humans and aliens, love and friendship. And sex, too. Because this is the hottest YA series you'll probably read. Again, Jen is afraid to write sexy YA and I love it.

The original books were told by Kat's (or Katy or Kitten) POV. It's pretty much your standard paranormal romance: human girl moves to a new town and meets boy. Boy isn't a normal boy. Boy is an alien. She falls for alien. Alien falls for her. Enemies want to kill/stop/hurt them or get something from them. Drama. Fights. Tears. Death. Kissing. Love.

Love. Love. Love. Because Daemon's love for Kat and Kat's love for Daemon is out of this world. You feel it. You feel every single bit of it. 

That's what makes this series so special.

And while we felt Kat's love while reading the original books, there's no mistaking how much Daemon loves her after reading this one. Jen did a fantastic job exploring his emotions. Daemon goes from "this girl should never have moved here" to "I can't live without this girl", and while the journey is long, it is also worth every page. Every paragraph. 

I know there's a lot of mythology and action involved too, but Im always going to look at the romance angle. Always. That's why I read. That's what I love about books -- relationships, people falling in love. And Kat and Daemon grabbed my heart from the moment I started reading Obsidian. And after finishing Oblivion, I'm so glad to learn they still hold it.

*******************************************************************************

Before reading:

AHHHHHHH!!!! Entangled, I love you! Guys, I have this now. *happy dances around the house*

Just requested this on NetGalley. Please, please, please!!!! *fingers crossed*

No comments: