Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

*Grabby Hands* Release & Review - Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

Image and blurb from Goodreads
  
 Title: Under Rose-Tainted Skies
Author: Louise Gornall
Publication Date: January 3rd, 2017
Category/Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Publisher: Clarion Books

Norah has agoraphobia and OCD. When groceries are left on the porch, she can’t step out to get them. Struggling to snag the bags with a stick, she meets Luke. He’s sweet and funny, and he just caught her fishing for groceries. Because of course he did.

Norah can’t leave the house, but can she let someone in? As their friendship grows deeper, Norah realizes Luke deserves a normal girl. One who can lie on the front lawn and look up at the stars. One who isn’t so screwed up.


Goodreads

Buy Links: Amazon


4 “Not an easy read” Stars

ARC via NetGalley


Thank you, Clarion Books!

Warning #1: Due to the holiday season and the lack of Internet access, I’m keeping my reviews short & sweet. Back to the normal speed next year. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, guys!

This was one of the hardest books I read in 2016. Being inside Norah’s head wasn’t an easy task, as it wasn’t supposed to be. As a person that has agoraphobia and OCD, Norah’s mind is a chaotic place to be in, and the author succeeded on showing that. It was the kind of uncomfortable that we need to feel, because it allows us to understand a little better of what happens with people with mental health issues. Of course I’m not saying all of them feel the same, but for someone who had little experience (my fault, completely), this book was enlightening.

I appreciated how the romance helped move the story along, but didn’t take over. This was Norah’s story, and she was the star of the show. All the focus on Norah made the book a heavy read, but I don’t think it could’ve gone otherwise. Her relationship with her mother was healthier than I expected it to be, and her friendship and romance with Luke was sweet. The boy (who sometimes seemed too good to be true, for my cynic self) understood Norah in a way not many people would, while managing not to become the only reason for Norah’s development.


The ending was a bit abrupt, but I liked how it didn’t present a magical solution to all of Norah’s problems. I’m glad I got my hands on this book!
*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: