Recent Posts

Monday, February 13, 2017

*Grabby Hands* Release & Review - Weddings, Crushes, and Other Dramas (Creative HeArts, #6; Willa and Finn, #2) by Emily McKay

Title: Weddings, Crushes and Other Dramas
(Creative HeArts #6; Willa and Finn #2)
Author: Emily McKay
Publication Date: February 13th, 2017
Age Category/Genre: Young Adult Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Entangled Teen: Crush
 
Falling in love with the best man wasn’t on the program.

Willa is happy to be the maid of honor in her dad’s upcoming wedding to uber-celeb Mia McCain. Not as happy about the best man being her soon-to-be stepbrother, the infuriating—and infuriatingly gorgeous—Finn McCain. Every time their paths cross, the attraction simmering between them grows a little harder to ignore. Willa knows all about guys like Finn—they only want what they can’t have. What’s between them isn’t real.

Finn has never felt anything more real than what’s developing between him and Willa. Sure, her dad warned him to steer clear, but it’s not just about forbidden temptation. He’s determined to prove to Willa he’s not going anywhere—and that happily-ever-after will always be worth the risk. 

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains a wedding so crazy it’ll make you laugh, a stepbrother so hot he’ll make you swoon, and a heroine so real she’ll make you cry.

Buy LinksAmazon
4 “Weddings, Crushes on your Stepbrother & Drama” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Entangled Crush!!

I’ve been waiting for this book for over a year!! Technically, it’s been almost one year, but it felt like a lot more. While the Creative HeArts series brought me more characters to fall in love while I waited for Emily Mckay’s second book, I have to say Willa and Finn were still my favorite couple.

There was just something about nerdy, strong Willa and mysterious, sexy Finn that got me and never let go, no matter how amazing the other couples in the series were.

When I started Willa and Finn’s second book, I didn’t know whether it’d be their last one or not (totally my fault, since the e-mail I got with the e-ARC specified this would be the last book in the series). I kind of wished it wasn’t, because I was so not ready to let go of this characters and this world.

In case you haven’t read any of the Creative HeArts books (in that case, why haven’t you?) this series is set in a high school focused on the arts. Students are future musicians, writers, actors…So there’s a whole cool vibe about the stories, which I enjoyed immensely. Plus, there’s always a lot of drama, as one would come to expect.

The drama in this book revolves around Willa and Finn. We met them in How Willa Got her Groove Back (still love this title a whole lot), and that was also when Finn and Willa first meet. The attraction between them was instant and clear, which meant I was shipping them pretty much from chapter one. The catch was: Finn’s mom was one of Hollywood’s favorite actresses and was in love with Willa’s dad. Not only that, but they were planning to get married and making Willa and Finn stepsiblings. *cue to forbidden romance* *cue to me shipping them harder*

Willa and Finn did everything in their power to stay away from each other and crush down their feelings. Finn made a stupid promise to his mom, one that would certainly come back to bite him in the ass. Willa got herself a hot boyfriend, who was also a jerk.

Many books where Finn and Willa were side characters later, we’re back in their heads and hearts to learn that as far as their feelings for each other go nothing has really changed. If anything, their feelings have only gotten stronger and the temptation much bigger now that they’re living under the same roof and about to officially become part of the same family.

With Weddings, Crushes and Other Dramas, we get to finally see Finn and Willa giving in little by little. It’s a slow process, and I admit there were parts of it I wished had been faster, but the slow burn was painful in a good way. I love myself a little angst and the chemistry between Finn and Willa never disappoints. They’re super hot together.

While a big part of the story still revolves around the upcoming wedding and their feelings, we also get to see glimpses of their school life and friends. There’s drama involving the show Willa created, The Lizzie Bennet Diaries webseries that impacted the lives of so many of the characters we met throughout the series because it’s also their senior project. I only wish we’d gotten to see more of the final product. It’s a shame that we didn’t get to learn what happened to it. If it’d been a total success or failure. If it’d launched any of them into stardom.

We also get drama involving Willa’s boyfriend, a guy who doesn’t deserve her attention at all. Some people might have a problem with how Willa put up with his attitude for that long, but I found it hard to be too sorry for Willa when it was clear she was definitely using him, too. For her, staying with him was a convenient way to ignore her feelings for Finn. So, yeah, Willa, sorry but you dug yourself that grave.

There were some things I wish had been different, especially because the ending felt a little rushed, but it also left me with that feeling of “I need more. I need a lot more.” As I said in the beginning, I hadn’t paid attention to the e-mail saying it was the last part of the series and as I got to the end, all I kept thinking was that I wasn’t ready for it to be over. That’s a good sign. I tend to get bored with long series, but that didn’t happen here. I’m still not completely over the fact that I won’t get more Finn and Willa in my life. Unless I reread their books. As some say, it’s always best to leave people wanting more.

The final thing I want to say about this book is a spoiler, so here it goes:

Warning: Spoilers ahead.

I’m a 100% certain I would’ve loved this book even more if it hadn’t been for the cheating. Finn kissing Willa hours after she had already made up her mind about breaking up with her boyfriend was both unnecessary and a risky move. After waiting so long for their kiss, I was left with a sore taste in my mouth. No matter how sure Willa was that her relationship with her soon-to-be-ex was already over, it couldn’t hurt to let her break up with him first. I was really upset by how things were treated and how there was no consequence afterwards. The moment (or the love story) wasn’t entirely ruined for me, but it didn’t have the same impact as it would’ve had without the cheating aspect, which is a sad conclusion.

As far as young adult contemporary romance book series go, the Creative HeArts is definitely one of my favorites, and Willa and Finn are my OTP. I’m sad to see them go, but I’m happy I got to meet them in the first place.
 


*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: