Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

#T5W - Top 5 Wednesday - Book Trends I'm Tired Of

#T5W or Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme created by Lainey & hosted on the Goodreads T5W group. Come join us!

This week's theme is: 
Book Trends I'm Tired Of

1 & 2. The White Savior + Special Snowflake


I'm combining two tropes in one here, because we tend to see them together. There's such a big world out there, but tons of best sellers, especially in Fantasy, are about white characters with some power/magic saving the world, huh?
3. Abuse Mislabeled as BDSM Relationships




I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of the BDSM trope in romance books, even when respectfully and carefully portrayed. But truth is, some of the most sucessful books out there (and yeah, I'm talking about that book, too) have dressed up abuse in BDSM clothing, and I'm not okay with that.
4. Half-Naked Men on Covers

 x
Love                                                       Not So much

Okay, that's a pet peeve of mine, but I'm really not a fan of half-naked men on book covers. I just wish more publishers went with the non-clichéd version for romance covers, because the ones that did mostly got it right.
5. Killing Side Characters For Shock Value


I can't get into too much details or give examples because of spoilers, but there are some famous books and franchises out there that used/still use this device just for shock value. Don't get me attached to a side character just to kill them off later for no good reason. It's just mean and it pisses me off. I'll let Veronica Mars tell you how I feel about this.
So, what do you think about these choices? Have you read any of them? Share you opinion bellow

No comments: