Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Release & Review - Masked Possession (The Masked Arcana #1) by Alana Delacroix

Image and blurb from Goodreads

Title: Masked Possession
(The Masked Arcana #1)
Author: Alana Delacroix
Release DateAugust 8th, 2017
Age Category/ Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Kensington
A Man Who Can Wear Any Face


Caro Yeats doesn’t run from much. As a former investigative reporter now working PR for Toronto’s supernaturals, what she hasn’t seen mostly isn’t worth seeing. But the assignment to “rebrand” Eric Kelton’s out-of-control alter egos has her on edge from the start. Kelton is the heirarch of the Masquerada, beings able to change their face—their entire persona—on a whim. Eric’s charisma muddles her instincts. How can she trust a man who can become anybody?

A Woman Without A Past


Eric has never met anyone like Caro, with her lightning wit and uncanny insight. But desirable as she is, he’d be a fool to let her near. Struggling to hide the sudden loss of his powers, Eric can’t risk becoming entangled with a woman who scorns her supernatural side and claims not to play politics. The enemies on her trail are strong, clever, and vicious. And when they force Eric and Caro together, the fallout could shatter far more than two hearts . . . 

Goodreads

Buy Links: Amazon
3 “Masks & Paranormal” Stars

ARC via NetGalley.

Thank you, Kensington!

While this book wasn't all that I was expecting it to be, I'm happy to see it out there because it means another paranormal romance title is out, and I'm getting excited about this genre making a much needed comeback. It's slow, but it seems to be happening. Yay!

Masked Possession's strongest part, in my opinion, is the world the author created. I was super interested in the idea of a PR agency for supernatural beings. The author did a good job immersing the reader into that world without dumping all the info at once. The story introduced elements as it went, slowly easing the reader into Caro Yates' life. 

Caro was an interesting character. She was a halfblood--her mother was a Masquareda, a.k.a., a supernatural being that can change its appearance and personality. But Caro had no experience exploring her abilities. She'd chosen to keep that part of herself hidden, despite working closely with other supernatural beings.

As a PR for supernaturals, Caro was assigned a job to help Eric, the leader of the Masquareda who was suffering with a condition due to the fact that he had taken too many masks--almost like taking too many personalities.

The moment they meet, Caro and Eric are drawn to each other, and that's when I started to have a little bit of problem with the story. The insta-love vibe I was getting hurt the connection I was still trying to establish with the characters. There was little to no tension or angst or slow burn, and the more I read, the more I'm learning slow burn is really my thing. Sure I'll go for some insta-lust or love every now and then, but it needs to have enough tension or angst to grab my attention. The romance in Masked Possession didn't.

With my lack of connection with the romance, I had to focus on the worldbuilding. Fortunately for Masked Possession, that was unique and interesting enough. I liked seeing different supernatural beings interacting. The author brought a few old ones, like the famous vampires, and new ones (at least for me), like Eric and Caro's species.

For me, Masked Possession lacked in the romance department, but impressed when it came to its unique premise in a genre I hope will return to the shelves soon enough.
*If you liked this review (or not), if you read the book (or not), come say hello and leave your comments bellow.

No comments: